Tuesday, November 9, 2010

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...

" A Veteran is someone, who at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for an amount up to, and including, their life. That is beyond honor and there are way too many people in this country who no longer remember that fact." Author Unknown
My beloved Marine Corps will be 235 years old tomorrow the 10th, Veterans Day is the 11th, we need to remember the sacrifice and price of freedom . Freedom is not free, freedom is earned by the blood, sweat and tears of our servicemen and women.

Every generation pays that price. Are you one of those that paid the price, answered the call and took the oath? Or are you the one that complains about the cost of a standing army and berates the service but yet swears 'I support the troops'.

I answered the call, my brother is today serving in the U.S. navy, my best friend was in the Air Force, my aunt, my father and grandfather and great grandfather are Army veterans, my mother served 25 years in the Army and now my son Jordan has picked up the torch of freedom and is currently in Army boot camp. Where will you be on veterans day, working or kicking back grateful for a day off?

When you see a veteran or a service man in uniform; do you say thank you for your service and shake their hand or keep walking, taking that sacrifice made and your freedom for granted.

On e of my favorite movie quotes is:

"Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.
We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post."
Jack Nicholson - A Few Good Men

Not everyone sees combat and most will never pay the ultimate price, but if you served and wore the uniform you have paid for that freedom with missed family dinners and holidays spent far from home, and perhaps in blood. So enjoy Veterans Day, hoist a cold one to fallen, missing or forgotten comrades and remember with out your service there would be no USA.

I, for one, salute you and thank you for your service.

No comments: